My boys are going to REAL SCHOOL this year!! (Because what we did before was fake right?) ;) I shared the little details about that transition and new move HERE. The week before school started I made stacks and rows of muffins to line our freezer shelves.
Taking a Saturday afternoon (or even a day if you could squeeze one in) to make ahead breakfast meals for your little students will save you MUCH time on rushed school mornings. Almost no time block is busier or crazier than those speedy minutes prepping for the school day on school mornings. This has helped us so much! I'm a night owl girl and can't stand the early morning hours. I'm a don't talk to me zombie in the morning so it works for me to robotically open the freezer door for make-ahead-breakfasts on school days.
Good books, fresh fruit,
and hearty muffins
gold super star school day!
It's a fun idea to make HOT CEREAL into muffins!
Follow the links for each HOT CEREAL MUFFIN recipe:
- Malt O Meal Magic muffins
- Oatmeal muffins with blueberries
- Cream of Wheat lowfat banana muffins
I baked and baked in preparation for the new September back to school season...fresh out of the oven! Mmmm, making our home sweet home smell so good...
More out of the oven...
I'm sharing 5 muffin varieties this morning.
THE MORNING MUFFINS I prepared:
1) These healthy ones are Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice muffins via BabycakesNYC cookbook (recipe found here). They are VEGAN and GLUTEN-FREE. I added sugar free chocolate chips.
They also work for gifts. Wrap them up with wax sheets and tie with baker's twine, all snuggly for cozy fall gifts!
A shiny silver tray of homemade beauty on top of a chunky knit table runner I knit last year!
2) The next set of muffins I baked were classic homemade blueberry sugar crisp muffins. These are delicious! In this past post: BACK TO SCHOOL 101, I promised the recipe. You can find it here: To Die For Blueberry Muffins.
3) NEXT UP: Quinoa Raisin Breakfast muffins, recipe found here via Martha Stewart (I made a small change in the recipe and substituted with gluten free flour). These weren't my favorites, they are somewhat boring BUT they have a lot of potential to experiment with!
4) The last muffin variety I prepped is a family favorite! I've been making Malt O Meal magic muffins straight off recipe from the back of the box forEVER (recipe found above in hot cereal muffin list). They are easy and tasty too. Plus, the name "magic muffins" is just too darn cute not to try.
Magic muffins served with lemon water
5) The last one is from muffins I shared a couple years ago. You can find the post HERE. Perfect for the fall season, Baked Apple Muffins.
Finally, after your entire home sweet home is filled with the smell of fresh blueberries and baked goodness, and your kitchen counters are lined with sheets of paper towels and rows of cute, peaked, muffin tops, you're ready to pull out freezer bags, stack them all, and freeze them for future EASY use! I keep a small selection in our kitchen freezer and the rest of them in the big garage freezer. I use chalk ink all the time to write all over my dishes because it wipes right off.
Sometimes, I also make ahead and freeze waffles, french toast, and breakfast burritos. I've been doing the burritos for years and they're a lifesaver to have! I actually had a blog post started for breakfast burritos back when I started my blog a few years ago BUT I never finished it....maybe someday. ;)
For other information on make ahead meals to create ease into modern lives, see a past post here: Meals in Fast Forward.
And enjoy your morning muffins!
This post is linked to: Under the Table & Dreamin, Nifty Thrifty, Seasonal Sundays, Made by You Monday, Met Monday, Tuesday Tutorials and Tips, HOMEWORK: Be Inspired, Tasty Tuesday, Tip Junkie, Get Your Craft On, Works for Me Wednesday, Organize and Decorate Everything, Celebrations at Home,Transformation Thursday, Tablescape Thursday, Strut Your Stuff, 36th Ave, Foodie Friday, Frugal Friday, I'm Lovin It, Tickled Pink, Friday Flair, Design Dazzle, eighteen25, Be Different Act Normal, Funky Junk Interiors, Weekend Wrap Up sew many ways Six Sisters Saturday